Monday, April 10, 2006

A Glimpse of Glory


I just read on Larry Calvin's blog (http://larrycalvin.blogspot.com), a story that got me to thinking. (Now there is a scary thought!!)

Here is an exerpt from it:

"In his autobiography, Bill Gaither recounts a time in his life when he was battling severe depression. A songwriter by both gift and trade, Gaither had entered a drought of creativity during which time NO songs were forthcoming and the prospects of any on the horizon seemed little to none.

Then came the day when he held his new-born son, Benji. Few experiences of life equal that. Those of you who have experienced it know what I'm talking about. Just last week, for the seventh time as Papa I held a precious grandbaby in my arms- Carter James Calvin. Praise God! For Gaither, that experience brought a song, the first in months and months, and the first of scores of lyrics that creatively flowed from his heart for the next few decades. Listen to this God-given masterpiece:

God sent His Son, they called him Jesus,
He came to love, heal, and forgive;
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives.

How sweet to hold a new-born baby,
And feel the pride and joy he gives;
But greater still the calm assurance,
This child can face uncertain days because he lives.

And then one day I’ll cross that river,
I’ll fight life’s final war with pain;
And then as death gives way to vict’ry,
I’ll see the lights of glory and I’ll know he reigns.

Because he lives I can face tomorrow, because He lives all fear is gone;
Because I know he holds the future, and life is worth the living just because He lives. "

Larry wrote this entry after holding a new grandson!!! Awesome.

What words...what revelation from a new born.

I was studying Enoch the other day. Such a concise description of a man, "he walked with God", with such incredible results, "and God took him-he was no more." You get the idea that God just coudn't wait to be with him-- that he wanted to be with Enoch face-to-face. Look deeper in the story and I found that he began to walk with God in his 65th year. (out of 365) That is also the year he had a son. What an incredible coincidence!!

I shared this insight in a sermon at church the other day and something happened after church that affirmed there is something there. A was visiting with a young woman who gave her life to Christ in the assembly that day. She said, "You know it was interesting what you were sharing about Enoch "walking with God" after he had his son. That is (three months ago) when I began seeking God-when my son was born."

Wow.

Paul says it like this: Rom 1:20
20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities — his eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

i.e You hold a new born baby and you are without excuse.

Ever had a revelation of God from a baby created in His Image? What a beautiful thing. I can remember the sound of each of my children drawing their first breath's simultaneously as God breathed on me. I have been blessed to experience this breeze four times. What a wonderful God!!! Just because HE LIVES!!!!

4 comments:

Amy C said...

God truly gave us an amazing blessing in children. I know several people who began to seek God when they had their first child. Great post.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Oh my goodness, man. Your kids are absolutely beautiful. Youa re one blessed dude...and so am I. You blessed me so much on the phone yesterday. Thanks for taking time to call and being such a trusted, long time friend. Love you, bud!

girlie girl said...

Hey Ty, my mom is Barbara Haddox (BJ to some). My Husband and I are from Illinois, and visit Crossroads when we're home to see my family. We LOVE the church! We always leave saying "how can we take this back to our church?". Thanks for allowing God to work through you! My mom has grown so much since being a part of Crossroads! We are blessed by your ministry! Take care and see you at christmas! (I saw a link to your blog on the Crossroads web page, just in case you're wondering how I got here).

ChildsPlay said...

You need to post something again. I'd love to hear what's going on with you.